Submitted by: Wilfredo Giraldo, Director of Latin American Operations, email@example.com, phone: (+51) 999963742.
Universities in Latin America, like many universities in the world, face challenges related to improving their competitiveness and sustainability, optimizing the use of resources, application of modern management techniques and finding ways in which to respond more effectively to market requirements. On the other hand, technology as a management variable is tremendously impacting the educational models and how to conduct the governance, demanding new skills in faculty and administrative staff to better respond to market challenges.
In this context accreditation, besides ensuring quality in teaching and learning, is recognized as a strategy to meet the challenges and demands facing universities, enabling them to obtain the recognition of having implemented a set of management standards in all processes that ensures continuous improvement in quality education of their students. Latin American universities are increasingly adopting this strategy, with members first joining ACBSP in 2005, growing to 21 institutions today from nine different countries. Universities located in ACBSP Region 9, the Latin American Council of Business Schools and Programs, have been actively participating in activities to promote ACBSP accreditation and have been developing collaborative projects of mutual support.
The great potential that exists in this part of the world and the need to better meet the needs of universities was the main reason why in September 2013, the ACBSP Latin American office was created, with the aim of contributing to the vision of ACBSP: "Every quality business program worldwide is accredited.” The Latin American office has the following objectives:
• Strengthen the presence of ACBSP in Latin America
• Promote the incorporation of prestigious universities
• Support universities in all phases of the accreditation process
• Contribute to the purposes and support activities of ACBSP Region 9
• Ensure the image of ACBSP accreditation
• Suggest ACBSP services to adequately meet the needs of universities in Latin America
• Promote the presence of Latin American universities in ACBSP forums
The ACBSP Latin American office was launched during a Region 9 workshop organized in the Dominican Republic in September 2013, where the objectives were presented and ideas and needs of the member universities were collected.
Since the Latin American office was created, progress has been achieved in the following areas:
• Participation in the seminar to prepare evaluators, held in September in Santo Domingo
• Participation in the CLADEA Conference, a regional event for universities and business programs, held in Rio de Janeiro this past October
• Carrying out an Accreditation Seminar held in Paraguay this past October
• Spanish translation of the criteria of the Student Leadership Award and Teaching Excellence Award
• Advice on accreditation processes to universities in the Dominican Republic, Paraguay, Mexico, Peru and Colombia
• Support to the activities organized by Region 9: Student Excellence Award and Teaching Excellence Award
In the coming months promotional activities and training forums are scheduled in Mexico, Colombia and Paraguay. Universities in Latin America have expressed interest in implementing the internationalization processes that enable global training of its students through internships, study tours, double degree or exchange faculty. This opens new possibilities to support universities from the Latin American Office.
Photo: Members of the Latin American Council of Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP Region 9) at their 2013 Regional Meeting in Republica Dominicana.